Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Jane Au(some)sten

This week I definitely accomplished my goals of reading 100 pages a week. I ended up reading 3 more books after An Abundance of Katherines by John Green. I read two nonfiction books, From Good to Grace by Christine Hoover and Live Original by Sadie Robertson. On top of that, I read Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. In reading these books, I have accomplished my goal of reading a variety of books and reading one from a genre that I wouldn't normally read from. In the following weeks, I would like to keep up my goal of reading frequently, but instead I want to read 200 pages a week to challenge myself.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen was a book that I really enjoyed. I had previously watched the movie but I hadn't yet read the book, and I'm glad that I did. The story is about five sisters and the story behind them as they search for husbands. One of the quotes that stood out for me in Pride and Prejudice was "'Next to be married, a girl likes to be crossed in love a little now and then. It is something to think of, and gives her a sort of distinction among her companions.'" (101). This quote was said by Mr. Bennett after one of his daughters was humiliated by the man she thought she was going to marry, he took a humorous outlook on it.

I like this quote because it is relatable. As high schoolers, we have crushes and sometimes they like us back and sometimes they don't; Sometimes we have a crush on more than one person at a time. When one of those crushes likes that person back, they'll date, whether that's for a short period of time or a long period of time. Mr. Bennett is right that being crossed in "love" definitely gives you something to think about. It also sets you apart from your friends when you're dating someone because they view you as more mature and go to you for advice in their personal love lives.

I also find it somewhat inspiring that Mr. Bennett took such a humorous outlook on it. It shows that sometimes, though they seem big at the time, our situations are small and it's okay to move past them and focus on the positive things. If you go through a break up, then that person obviously wasn't a part of God's plan for you and no matter how hard you try, they'll never be in Gods plan for you; he has something even better for you. So, in that case, it's okay to laugh it off and move on. That is exactly what Mr. Bennett is showing us through that quote.


1 comment:

  1. I love the information that you presented the readers with in this blog. I'm very proud of you for exceeding your goal and would love for you to push for more. I found the relation between the book and us being high schoolers was a good connection.

    ReplyDelete